The history of the Red Lion

Red Lion Knotty Green Beaconsfield circa 1910
Red Lion c. 1910

We know that there has been  a pub on this site since at least the 18th Century.

The lists of Licensed Victuallers show that the Red Lion goes back a fair way. It is shown in 1872 as having been a Public House for more than 50 years and is on the 1827 return owned by Wethereds. There are two Red Lions shown for Penn back to when the Register of Alehouse Keepers started in 1753.

There do not seem to be any deeds – the old ones were probably with Wethereds. However, a sketch has been located dating from the 1855 Penn Inclosure Award which suggests a shape similar to now. In the 1838 Penn Tithe Map the long garden beside the road to Penn was owned by Wethereds but the shape of the building looks different from now. However, we can say with confidence that the present pub was probably built between 1838 and 1855 and that there has been a public house there at least since the early 1700s.

The Red Lion is an important historic survivor, the only one in Knotty Green, of the early Victorian period when Knotty Green was a small, poor rural hamlet.

 

With grateful thanks to Miles Green for this information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *